8711 White Swan Drive, Unit 103, Tampa, FL 33614
I seek to build solid, long-term relationships with clients, colleagues, and vendors; in a stable environment where we can enjoy an atmosphere of mutual fulfilment while pursuing a vision of excellence. After 25 years in the gig economy—a nationwide touring show, many seasonal showbiz jobs, owning my own business, and burn out from the 24/7 schedule demands of full-time jobs in the live event industry—I am wishing to settle into a career with a single employer and a more predictable schedule.
As a small business owner, contractor, and freelancer in the Live Event (Audiovisual Production) and Journalism (Photography) industries, my career has been defined more by the assignments, events, and shows I worked and managed rather than just the names of my full and part-time employers that you look for on most resumes. In order to illustrate the details of my experience, this resume is color-coded to identify industries, and indented to distinguish between full time, part time, and contract work, while remaining in chronological order.
Photography & Journalism in BLUE,
Event Production & Audio Visual in GREEN,
Amusement Park work in MAROON
| Full Time, Salaried Jobs
| Part Time or Reoccurring Contract
| Temporary Projects and Significant Events
2019 – 2019
Director of Event Technology
J&S Audio Visual at the Innisbrook Resort, Palm Harbor, FL
· Led customers, clients, and employees through the process of changing the resort’s in-house audio visual vendor.
· Deployed applications and mechanisms for my team to deliver excellent customer service to clients.
· Generated proposals, invoices, RFPs, RMAs, & SOPs using MS Office 365 suite, Delphi, AV Manager, Social Tables, Monday dot com and others.
· Trained and supervised a new team of technicians to operate equipment, drive sales, maintain vehicles and office/storage space.
· Set up, tested, operated, and monitored video teleconferencing (VC/VTC) programs.
2018 - 2019
Special Events, Entertainment Department
Busch Gardens, Tampa, FL
· Managed the design and implementation of technology infrastructure for internal and external live events and theatrical productions.
· Applied new technology solutions and best industry practices.
· Oversaw the organization and maintenance of seven warehouses of equipment; and a dozen heavy duty lift vehicles.
· Trained technicians in video presentation hardware, software, and techniques.
· Installed sound reinforcement and acoustical tools in recording studios and conference rooms.
2017 - 2017
The Straz Performing Arts Center, Tampa, FL
· Oversaw the daily operation of four theatres and IATSE staff.
· Filled rider needs for incoming tours and supplied them with in-house technical and staff support.
· Generated forms for equipment inventory, costume measurements, RMAs and RFPs.
· Contracted and managed services from outside vendors.
· Collaborated with Production Managers, Directors, Stage Managers, Costume Designers, Lighting Designers, Set Designers to fulfill the needs of the production.
· Served as Production Manager for external and internal events including the Tampa Opera.
Hired as part-time AV Technician upon moving to FL before taking full-time job at the Straz, then rehired as Lead Technician until taking job at Busch Gardens closer to home.
PSAV at the Wyndham Grand
· Provided technical support to clients for equipment rentals and live events.
· Shot and edited video segments for the executive staff.
· Maintained equipment and storage space.
· Delivered exceptional customer service to clients and hotel guests.
2007 – 2017
Owner, Photographer, Event Manager, Director…
Zymage, LLC Event Production & Photography https://zymage.com
· Utilized strategic, creative, and analytical problem solves skills to see projects through from planning to execution.
· Worked with clients to generate photographic and other digital media for marketing brands and services.
· National and international clients included: Brown-Forman (Jack Daniels), Louis Vuitton, Marriott, Heaven Hill Brands (Even Williams), Maxim, The KY Lottery, Boxcar PR and many, many others.
· Owned and operated a small business with a storefront portrait studio.
· Contracted and managed other photographers, technical staff and talent for corporate events, KY Derby parties, galas, and fundraisers.
· Served as the Producer, Director, and/or Show Manager for scores of fashion shows.
· Auditioned, directed and dressed models and talent; and maintained wardrobe and costumes, for fashion shoots, runway shows, and parties, including the very popular Vegas in the Ville, Barnstable-Brown, and the Maxim Fillies and Stallions Derby Eve Parties.
· Photographed conventions, trade shows, corporate events, and sales meetings.
· Non-corporate clients included weddings, families, portraits, and model portfolios.
2002 - 2017
Freelance Audio Visual Production Technician
Multiple Local and National AV Production Companies
· Provided audio, lighting, video (camera, switching and projection) services for various local and national clients including AVW, AVHQ, CLE, Stamm Media, C&H Audiovisual, Alpha Productions, Axxis, Inc., and many others.
2012 – 2016
The Courier-Journal (Louisville’s daily newspaper and the largest media company in the state)
· Assigned to photograph stories and events for print and online, as well as marketing material.
· Assigned to write and edit copy for stories.
· Assigned to shoot and edit video segments.
Instructor, Intro to Photography
Louisville Creative Arts Academy, Louisville, KY
· Taught coursework that included DSLR operation and photo composition.
· Led a class of middle and high schoolers in and outside of the classroom.
Video and Audio Install Technician, Photographer
Frazier History Museum, Louisville, KY
· Installed video projectors, playback equipment and speakers for long term, temporary exhibits.
· Photographed events and staff for promotional and advertising material.
Extras Casting Director
Heyman Talent, Louisville, KY
· Recruited, auditioned, cast, and scheduled extras for film “And Then I Go.”
· Supervised over 200 background actors, mostly teenagers.
Contract Studio Photographer
RueLaLa ecommerce, Shepherdsville, KY
· Photographed products and clothing on table top and models for immediate online sales.
2006 – 2014
Fashion Show Producer
Meet Me at the Alter bi-annual Bridal Show, Louisville, KY
· Produced and directed fashion shows for David’s Bridal and multiple local bridal boutiques.
· Wrote the choreography and blocking to align with music.
· Directed models, photographers and technical staff.
2007 - 2013
Fashion Show Producer, Party Planner, Photographer
Entertainment Consulting International, dba Fourth St. Live!, Louisville, KY
· Produced and directed fashion shows for Bebe, Forever 21, Andrew Christian, 77 Liquid Swimwear, and others.
· Photographed parties and promotional material for social media, print and online ads.
· Contracted photographers, technical staff and models.
Consultant and Trainer
Kentucky Kingdom Amusement Park, Louisville, KY
· Helped re-open the park with a new owner, years after Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom closed, in both a marketing and operational capacity.
· Trained and managed costume character performers and escorts.
Committee Member: Spokesperson, Media Liaison, and Event Planner
Save My Park, a grassroots organization advocating for the re-opening of Kentucky Kingdom Amusement Park, Louisville, KY
· Worked with the community, media, and government leaders to urge the KY State Fair Board to find a new operator for the parks after Six Flags closed.
· Composed and distributed press releases that resulted in interviews and often the top story on the local news.
· Made regular TV and radio appearances updating the community on our progress.
· Planned and hosted community events including appearances in parades and fairs.
· Created promotional videos and packages to lobby political leaders.
2009 – 2012
The Voice-Tribune Weekly Newspaper, Louisville, KY
· Photographed Fashion Layouts and Cover Stories.
· Covered society events.
Steering Committee Member, Fashion Show Producer
American Cancer Society, Louisville, KY
· Produced and Directed “Casablanca” fashion show for “An Evening of Hope” Gala.
· Participated in marketing of the event, including media appearances.
2009 - 2011
Steering Committee Member; Talent and Photography Manager
Historic Homes Foundation, Louisville, KY
· Auditioned, booked, and supervised dozens of models and technical staff for “Vegas in the Ville” at Whitehall Historic Home and Gardens.
· Photographed promotional material and advertisements.
Louisville Nitelife Magazine, Louisville, KY
· Assisted the Publisher with re-launching the magazine and brand.
· Photographed covers, features and events.
· Produced the LNL Launch Party and Fashion Show.
2006 - 2007
Warning Magazine, based in Beverly Hills, CA.
· Managed bi-monthly entertainment and fashion magazine geared toward the college student and young professional demographic in Louisville, KY and Bloomington, IN.
· Sold ads through cold calls and visits, networking events, and media appearances.
· Contracted and supervised writers, photographers, graphic designers and account executives.
· Produced Launch Parties: Contracted with venues, hired models, DJs, and staff; booked AV production and directed fashion shows.
Photographer and Videographer
Lightspeed Photos, Louisville, KY
· Traveled the country shooting sporting events, primarily cheer and dance competitions.
2004 - 2006
Speed Magazine, Louisiana and Kentucky
· Edited seasonal entertainment and fashion magazine geared toward the college student and young professional demographic in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Lafayette, LA; and later, opened a new edition in Louisville, KY.
· Sold ads to new and existing clients.
Ruby Red Productions/BET (Black Entertainment Television), New Orleans, LA
· Provided teleprompter and script writing services for “Comic View” TV Series taping.
2004 - 2005
MVP International, Inc. at the Marriott Convention Center and Ritz-Carlton hotels, New Orleans, LA
· Provided clients with equipment and technical assistance.
· Operated mixers, switchers, consoles, and cameras for live shows.
2004 – 2005
Video Projectionist and AV Technician
Vienna Woods Productions/Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, LA
· Operated live broadcast camera.
· Set up and operated large display video projection and other AV services to meetings and conventions.
2004 – 2005
üBER Model Management, Louisiana
· Photographed talent for portfolios.
· Booked and supervised models on site for events, photo shoots and films.
· Functioned as Stage Manager for fashion shows.
Guest Lecturer and Curriculum Contributor for Business Ethics UMGT 338,
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
· Taught leadership skills from Dr. Stephen Covey’s The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People to college Students.
AV Group, New Orleans, LA
· Advanced and led on site show productions.
· Contracted and supervised freelance staff.
· Lead Technician for all shows and events.
· Installed audio and video display equipment in churches and meeting rooms.
Show Services Operations Manager
J&S Audio Visual, Dallas TX
· Managed the day-to-day operation of Show Services Department. Primary duties included the supervision and scheduling of over a dozen full time employees, contractor labor; and warehouse staff and equipment.
· Worked as liaison between Account Executives and Show Technicians to route event information.
· Developed and implemented new mechanisms for show scheduling, record keeping, and internal information sharing.
· Served as the primary support contact for all 25 branch offices.
· Negotiated the purchasing of cross rentals, transportation, travel arrangements, and contract labor.
· Stage Manager, The Dallas Cowboys’ Cheerleaders.
· Writer for the company newsletter.
1998 - 2001
Producer, Production Manager, Lead Technician
Rhyno Productions, a subsidiary of Wyncom, INC, Lexington, KY
· Produced over 250 Lessons in Leadership seminars, sponsored by America’s leading college and universities across the country and offered Continuing Education Credits and certificates for attendance.
· Programs featured best-selling authors and renowned speakers including Stephen Covey, PhD; Ken Blanchard, PhD; Tom Peters, PhD; Bob Nelson, PhD; Robert Cooper, PhD; Michael Hammer, and others.
· Served as the Producer/Manager for over 60 live shows per year in all major U.S. and Canadian cities.
· Served as the Technical Director for live webcasts.
· Served as the Associate Producer for multiple live worldwide satellite broadcasts.
· Served as the Meeting Planner covering all aspects of on-site program management.
· Responsible for logistics and scheduling of staff, transportation, and production gear.
· Recruited and trained new staff, tracked inventory, and maintained equipment.
· Brought Audio/Visual services “in house” at Wyncom to create Rhyno Productions.
· Managed a million-dollar equipment and trucking budget.
· Composed requests for bids to potential vendors, designed equipment layout, specifications, and operational design.
· Writer for the internal company newsletter and book-reviewer for the external publication.
1997 – 1998
World Audio Visual Enterprises, Lexington, KY
· Planned and executed live programs.
· Served as Program Coordinator and Meeting Planner.
· Used and assisted in display and marketing of first generation Aluma-lok™ airwall track hangers.
1995 - 1997
Hotel Property Manager, Lead Production Technician
AXXIS Audio Video Lighting Staging, Inc., Louisville, KY
· Worked on a wide variety of events including conventions, trade shows, corporate meetings, and seminars.
· Provided FOH and backstage support for sales meetings, seminars, political rallies, concerts, fashion shows, beauty pageants, awards shows, and many other live events.
· Managed technicians and equipment for vendor and booth AV support for three of the top ten largest trade shows in the US.
· Manager of two hotel satellite offices.
· Sold, planned, delivered, executed, and staffed A/V rentals for small and large ballroom events.
Environmental and Department Manager
Kentucky Kingdom, The Thrill Park, Louisville, KY
· Supervised, interviewed, trained, scheduled, and managed 20 – 30 employees.
· Maintained equipment and coordinated services from contracted vendors.
· Performed specialized disposal of biohazard waste.
Human Resources Supervisor
Kentucky Kingdom, The Thrill Park, Louisville, KY
· Recruited and interviewed prospective employees for all departments.
· Led new team member orientations and planned and organized staff activities.
· Primary contributor to weekly employee newsletter and summer photo album/yearbook.
1993 - 1994
Entertainment Department Supervisor
Kentucky Kingdom, The Thrill Park, Louisville, KY
· Supervised character performers, maintained costumes and theatre.
1991 – 1992
Costume Character Performer, Stage Manager, Show Technician in the Entertainment Department
Kentucky Kingdom, The Thrill Park, Louisville, KY
· Operated lighting and sound equipment for live shows.
· Led in set and costume quick changes for the staged events, concerts, and live song and dance shows.
· Emceed and hosted talent shows and dance parties.
· Performed as King Louie the Lion.
Certifications and Seminars:
· SynAudCon Principles of Audio, 2018.
· Rigging Seminar and Certification, 1998.
· Hughes – JVC Projection Technology Corporation Certification, 1998.
· Extron Computer Interfacing and Switching School Certification, 1998.
· Attended the Information Communications Industry Association Annual Trade Show “InfoComm” 1999, 2001.
· Member of the 2002 ICIA Rental and Staging Council.
· Attended over 250 Lessons in Leadership Seminars, offering Continuing Education Units by established and accredited universities across the country.
1992 – 1995
Majored in Telecommunications, minored in Journalism. Seven semesters toward a
Bachelor of Arts in Telecommunications.
Oklahoma Baptist University, Shawnee, OK
Extracurricular activities included:
· Chief Show Tech on all campus auditoriums for all shows.
· Member of College Players (Theatre Social Club).
· Member of Spectrum (Telecommunications Social Club).
· Staff Writer for Campus Newspaper.
· Bison Mascot Performer.
High School Diploma
J. Graham Brown School, Louisville, KY
· Created and produced student led morning news video braodcast.
2013 Photo Biennial/Preservation Louisville, GRAND PRIZE.
2013 Kentucky News Photographers Association, Third Place, Picture Project.
2012 Kentucky News Photographers Association, Second Place, Illustrative Category.
2011 LEO Weekly’s Literary Edition, Honorable Mention, Color Category.
2007 The Courier-Journal Travel Photo Contest, Finalist.
Former General Manager, Alpha Productions
Currently a Producer with Bisig Impact Group
Marketing Manager, Heaven Hill Brands
Media Manager, Brown-Forman
Owner, J. Wagner Group; Boxcar PR
Former Photo Editor, The Courier-Journal
Director, The Frazier History Museum
Director, Heyman Talent
Workplace and Soft Skills:
Leadership and Teamwork:
· Ability to excite and motivate people.
· Trained in conflict resolution.
· Knows when to lead and when to follow.
· Capable of delegating and empowering.
· Experienced in hiring and training employees.
Organization and Time Management:
· Prefers to function proactively rather than reactively.
· Able to produce quality work within strict deadlines.
· Very detailed and focused.
Analytical and Problem Solving:
· Highly creative and simultaneously a critical thinker.
· Able to find new solutions to complex problems.
· Idealistic vision, rational approach.
· Adaptable to changing environments and situations.
Diversity and Workplace Behavior:
· Understands that one size does NOT fit all.
· Treats people fairly, if not necessarily equally.
· Aware and sincere.
· Trained to prevent harassment and inappropriate conduct.
· Practices empathic listening.
· Speaks eloquently and persuasively (five years as staff on a lecture circuit).
· Writes articulately at an educated level (former magazine editor and newspaper writer).
· Cognizant of non-verbal cues, facial expressions and body language.
· Experienced spokesperson and press release writer.
· Able to put a positive spin on a negative situation.
· Builds relationships with clients, vendors, and stakeholders.
· Creates aesthetically pleasing and artistic images.
Budgeting, Scheduling and Inventory Management:
· Resourceful on limited budgets, efficient when handling large budgets.
· Creates meticulous and detailed documentation and forms.
· Provides clear information and concise instructions to employees.
· Handles, stores, and operates equipment in a safe and careful manner.
· Experienced in equipment research and acquisition; generating RFPs and composing bids.
· Finds criticism challenging, not insulting.
· Slight perfectionist, practical optimist.
· Sociable and friendly without unnecessary fraternizing.
· Enjoys meetings.
· Myers-Briggs: XXXX (E-55,I-45; N-55,S-45; T-50,F-50; J-50,P-50)
Office and Computers:
· PC and Mac, Windows 7, 10, and OS X.
· MS Office 365: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint, Delve, Yammer…
· Meeting Matrix, Social Tables event software.
· Capture One, Photo Mechanic image processing software.
· AMX and Crestron touch panel controls.
· Bandwidth knowledge and limitations.
· Wifi and wired networking, routing and switching.
Video Teleconferencing (VT, VTC):
· Polycom, Cisco, Lifesize, Highfive, WebEx, GoToMeeting, Zoom…
· PA speakers and amps: Small meeting ground supported to concert flown line arrays, passive and active.
· FX: Graphic and parametric EQ, compressors and gates, FBX, and digital delays.
· Mixers: Analog and digital, 4 – 32 channel. Mackie, Yamaha, Midas, QSC touch panel…
· Mics: Wired and wireless, handheld, lavaliere, and Countryman… Shure, Audio-technica, Sennheiser, Sony…
· Digital recording.
· Broadcast quality: Sony, Panasonic, and JVC.
· DSLR: Nikon, Canon, and Sony.
· Lenses: Kit, fixed prime, sports, and macro.
· Tripods: Light and heavy duty fluid head.
· Remote control.
· Broadcast switchers, matrix routing, and digital layering: Barco (Folsom), Analog Way 48, Panasonic…
· CCU operation and shading.
· Playback Pro.
Video Projection and Display:
· 3K ground supported to 12k flown: Barco, Christie, Panasonic, Sanyo, NEC…
· Stacked and edge blending projection.
· Video walls, up to 5x8 @ 9x16 ratio.
· Fastfold and truss screens.
· ECT Lights: Source Fours and Par-nels.
· LED: COLORado, Mega Lite, and Chauvet.
· DMX: 3 and 5 pin wired, and wireless.
· Intelligent movers: Martin, Chauvet, Elation…
· Balloon lights.
· Traditional stage lighting: ellipsoidal (Leko), Fresnel, pars.
· Consoles: Analog (DMX) and digital LED controllers.
· ETC and Leprechaun Dimmers.
· Photo studio strobes.
· Video studio LEDs and fluorescents, 3200k – 5500k.
· Up Rigger (certified), down rigger.
· CM Loadstar motors, single and double chains.
· Thomas, Tomcat truss.
· Aluma-lok airwall track hangers.
· Theatrical counter-weight fly system.
· Theatrical connections: Stage pin, twist lock, Edison, Leviton camlock, Socopex cable, break in/outs.
· Power distros and cabling: 12-16 awg 108/120v – 4 awg 3 phase 60-400 amp feeds.
· Soldering, wire crimping and bench desk repairs.
· 24’ 13-ton truck
· scissors lift
· cherry picker
· fork lift.
· Teleprompter and Speaker Timer Operator.